Over the course of three workshops in late 2017 and early 2018, Volans, in partnership with Innovate UK, convened more than 200 innovators from SMEs and city authorities.
The workshop series had two, sequential goals. The first: to provide a space for SMEs and city authorities to meet, converse, and build trust. The second: to explore the business and collaboration models needed to implement and scale effective solutions to complex urban challenges.
Off the back of the three workshops, we developed an Action Guide for City Authorities and SMEs, which identifies seven business model principles for solving urban challenges.
- Define a Massive Transformative Purpose
- Align incentives with outcomes
- Make your innovation process as open as possible, as early as possible
- Leverage under-utilised assets
- Co-opt service users as solution co-creators
- Aggregate demand to share costs
- Design solutions that can scale exponentially
To find out more, download the full report or read our article for Fast Company on 7 Principles Of Transformative Urban Innovation.